The piston is a vital component of a car engine because it allows the internal combustion process to take place. When fuel and air mix together in the fixed cylinder of the engine, it causes combustion gases to come out. These gases create a force that pushes against the piston, causing it to move and rotate the crankshaft.
As the piston continues to move, it compresses the fuel and air mixture just as the spark plug ignites the mixture. Then you will have a successfully combusted mixture, which generates energy to move the wheels under the vehicle. The heat from the pistons gets transferred into the piston rings. From there, the heat enters the cylinder walls until the coolant finally absorbs it.
Whenever you install a new piston inside of a cylinder bore, you need to compress the piston rings. The only way to do that is if you use a piston ring compressor tool. If the piston rings are not compressed, then your piston won’t be adequately aligned inside of the bore.
Best Piston Ring Compressor Tools
Below are the top 5 best piston ring compressor tools for car engines.
1) Performance Tool W80572 Piston Ring Compressor
The Performance Tool W80572 Piston Ring Compressor should be compatible with most passenger vehicles. The size range of the band diameter can be between 53 and 127 millimeters (or 2.125 inches to 5 inches). Wilmar is the name of the manufacturer, and they continue to make this piston ring compressor model.
The W80572 offers positive compression to ensure the proper alignment of the piston rings, along with adjustable friction brake. If you are going to install the piston ring compressor yourself, then make sure you read the instructions that are included with it. They will help you determine whether the piston ring compressor will fit your piston rings or not.
It has already received over 500 ratings on the Amazon product page, with an average of 4.5 stars. Therefore, it should be a worthy investment for you to make.
2) YEHAM 3″ Car Engine Piston Ring Compressor Tool & Piston Ring Pliers with Adjustable Safety Screws
The YEHAM Car Engine Piston Ring Compressor can be adjusted to fit pistons of different sizes. That is why it is such an excellent piston ring compressor. Its adjustability increases its range of compatibility with different model car engines. You can use the YEHAM Car Engine Piston Ring Compressor to remove piston rings and expand piston rings if needed.
YEHAM is a brand name you can trust. Their piston ring compressor is made of durable spring steel material, so it should last you for a long time. You’ll also get carbon steel pliers and a wrench with it too.
There is nothing negative to say about the YEHAM piston ring compressor. It has innovative safety features, a modifiable design, and highly durable construction.
3) Plum Garden Car Engine Piston Ring Compressor Tool & Piston Ring Pliers for Adjustable Safety Screws
The Plum Garden Car Engine Piston Ring Compressor Tool is a handy tool for installing piston rings and removing piston rings.
The size limit is 0.25 inches or 6.4 millimeters. You don’t need to twist the compressor tool to perform the installation or removal. If you want to adjust the tool to handle a different size, you can make it handle piston rings that are anywhere from 2.125 inches to 7 inches.
The nickel-plated carbon steel material of the compressor tool will prevent corrosion from forming on it. The handles contain vinyl material, so it can be easier and safer to grip with your hands. You shouldn’t have a problem with it at all.
Piston ring pliers come with the compressor tool. They can be used for the adjustable safety screws.
4) ABN Adjustable Ratchet Piston Installer Tool
The ABN Adjustable Ratchet Piston Installer Tool makes it very easy to install piston rings. It has a rachet-type locking mechanism and a lever that can easily be released with your fingertip. It is designed for piston rings that have a diameter of between 2.1 inches and 6.9 inches. It is the equivalent of 53 millimeters and 175 millimeters.
Spring steel was used to build the tool. It is a durable material that prevents corrosion and lasts for a long time. The tool is compatible with all kinds of engines, ranging from the smaller engines of a lawnmower to the bigger engines of a car or tractor. Read the instructions included with the installer tool to learn more about how to use it.
5) MMonDod Car Engine Piston Ring Installer Removal Kit
The MMonDod Car Engine Piston Ring Installer Removal Kit is compatible with the piston rings of the average passenger vehicle. Its band diameter size is between 2.125 inches and 7 inches, which is the equivalent of 53 millimeters and 175 millimeters, respectively.
There is an adjustable piston installer plier included with the set. It is compatible with piston rings that have a thickness level of between 1.2 millimeters and 6.4 millimeters. It is recommended that you hire a professional mechanic to install your piston rings with this device.
- Top 5 Best Aftermarket Timing Belt Brands for Your Car
- Top 5 Best Aftermarket Serpentine Belt Brands for Your Car
- Top 5 Best Dial Indicator/Gauge Brands
Tips to Choosing Best Piston Ring Compressor Tools
The piston ring compressor tool is designed to compress piston rings. It is used when replacing piston rings or pistons. We recommend you lubricate the piston ring compressor beforehand. That will make it easier to reinstall the piston or the piston rings.
There are lots of piston ring compressor tools on the market. Below are the top five tips for choosing the best ones.
1) Adjustability: Choose a piston ring compressor that is compatible with most passenger cars. Since the tool must fit your piston perfectly, you should choose an adjustable piston ring compressor. Then you’ll have the ability to adjust the size so that it can fit a broader range of car engine models.
2) Wide Compatibility: If you choose a piston ring compressor made by a specific car manufacturer, then you’ll be restricted to use the tool for a specific make and model vehicle. That is why you should choose a brand that specializes in making auto parts or accessories, such as YEHAM or Performance Tool.
3) Good Material: Compressor tools are made of different materials. If you can find a tool made of nickel-plated carbon steel, then it can prevent the formation of corrosion. Besides, you’ll want the handles of the tool to contain a soft material, such as vinyl, because it’ll make it easier to grip it with your hands.
4) Easy to Use Mechanisms: Simplicity is best when it comes to piston ring compressors. You can simplify the installation of piston rings if you find a tool with an easily controllable locking mechanism. There should be a lever you can control with your fingertip to lock the compressor in place.
5) Instruction Manual: Even with a simple to use a piston ring compressor kit, it won’t always include an instruction manual. Some companies will assume consumers know how to use the tool. If you don’t know how to use the tool, make sure your kit comes with an instruction manual for your reference.